Agenda - December 11, 2002
Wednesday, December 11 - 10:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
RED LION INN 1830 Hilltop Drive
The purpose of the meeting is to provide a forum for discussion on the role of the Youth Council, and on resource mapping of youth programs and services
- Call to Order Chair, Michele Piller
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes June 18, 2002
- Regional Youth System Grant - Guest Speaker, Helen Ramstad, Region I Coordinator -California Department of Education (CDE) Youth Development System Grant.
- The Role of the NoRTEC Youth Council - Youth Council roles and responsibilities will be discussed in the context of NoRTEC structure and policies, and on what Council members perceive as appropriate and attainable goals and objectives for themselves. Included will be a dialogue on the feasibility of Council members taking the lead in establishing local-level youth services planning groups. Discussion Paper
- Mapping Local Youth Programs and Resources - NoRTEC Youth Program Operators from the Workforce Connection (STEP), Alliance for Workforce Development (AWD), and Rural Human Services (RHS) will share their community resource mapping efforts todate.
- Possible Funding Sources for Youth Programs - Guest speaker, Dan Obermeyer, Community Development Services.
- Next NoRTEC Youth Council Meeting -- It is planned that the Youth Council will meet on a semi-annual basis if funding permits. Council members are invited to attend the regularly scheduled quarterly NoRTEC WIB/Governing Board meetings.
- New Business Items -- Members may bring up additional items for discussion.
The minutes from the first NoRTEC Youth Council meeting, June 18, 2002, are attached: Minutes
Helen will give an overview of the CDE grant, whose main purpose is to bring together those entities and agencies that work with youth to design and develop the elements of a comprehensive Youth Development System. Helen is responsible for continuing and expanding existing youth system coordination as the foundation for regional youth system capacity.
Dan will give a short presentation on Youth Training and Employment-related funding sources that can be used to supplement exisiting WIA funds for Youth Program implementation. Information will be provided on contacts, geography (regional/local/city/rural focus), topic focus (tech, environment, poverty, at risk, etc.), and methods of application.
NOTE: The Council will break for a buffett lunch at about 12:00 Noon