NoRTEC WIA COMMITTEE MARCH 24, 2000
WIA TRANSITION COMMITTEE
FRIDAY, MARCH 24, 2000
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- CALL TO ORDER
- ROLL CALL
This Committee was appointed by the NoRTEC PIC and Governing Board at their regularly scheduled January 28, 1999, meeting. The official members are the NoRTEC Executive Committee members and the NoRTEC Governing Board members, although all WIB members are invited to participate in the discussions. This Committee is empowered to act on behalf of the full NoRTEC WIB and Governing Board for Workforce Investment Act implementation items needing resolution in the interim between regularly scheduled meetings.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES, AUGUST 19, 1999 (ACTION)
Copies of the minutes from August 19, 1999, are attached: Minutes
WIB Approval approval of the August 19, 1999, minutes, with revisions if needed, as mailed.
Governing Board Approval approval of the August 19, 1999, minutes, with revisions if needed, as mailed.
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA (ACTION)
WIB approval of the agenda, with revisions if needed, as mailed.
Governing Board approval of the agenda, with revisions if needed, as mailed.
- PUBLIC COMMENT (INFORMATION)
Members of the public will be invited to make brief comments regarding any aspect of NoRTEC business.
- ONE STOP MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (ACTION)
The law requires a written memorandum of understanding (mou) between NoRTEC and the partners of the One Stops, to cover:
- The services to be provided through the one-stop delivery system;
- How the costs of such services and the operating costs of the system will be funded;
- Methods for referral of individuals between the one-stop operator and the one-stop partners, for the appropriate services and activities;
- The duration of the memorandum and the procedures for amending the memorandum during the term of the memorandum; and
- Such other provisions, consistent with the requirements of the ACT, as the parties to the agreement determine to be appropriate.
The NoRTEC WIB/GB approved the NoRTEC umbrella MOU at the January WIB/GB meeting: MOU The background paper is also attached providing additional information and the context for the development of the NoRTEC MOU: Background (A copy of the NoRTEC MOU is also posted on the NoRTEC "What's Happening?" Web site to encourage public review and comment.)
The Procedure approved at the January meeting was:
- Local One Stop agreements would be developed among the mandated partners in each county, consistent with the NoRTEC MOU.
- These local agreements would be submitted to NoRTEC by March 15, 2000.
- The local agreements would be reviewed and approved by the NoRTEC WIB and Governing Board at the March 24, 2000, meeting.
- Any suggestions for modification of the NoRTEC MOU would be directed to NoRTEC Staff by March 15, 2000.
- Any of the suggested changes not incorporated by staff would be brought to the WIB and Governing Board for their final decision at the March 24, 2000, meeting.
- No significant changes to the NoRTEC MOU were proposed.
- As of this writing, MOUs from Plumas, Modoc and Tehama have been received (Tehama's without signatures yet).
- All of the local MOUs are expected in time for the March meeting.
- None of the MOUs will include the Department of Rehabilitation as a local partner. The State bureaucracy has still not consented to local participation in the One Stops.
- It appears that Plumas, Modoc and Trinity will meet the NoRTEC "full Partner" requirements for full designation as a comprehensive One Stop, and that Butte, Del Norte, Lassen, Tehama and Siskiyou will have to settle for temporary One Stop designation, pending the State Department of Rehabilitation's decision to participate. (It is ironic that many of the largest programs will receive a lessor status designation through no fault of their own.)
WIB approval of the local MOUs, and the full or temporary designation of a One Stop in each NoRTEC member county, consistent with comment number 5, above.
Governing Board approval of the local MOUs, and the full or temporary designation of a One Stop in each NoRTEC member county, consistent with comment number 5, above.
- YOUTH PROGRAM PROPOSALS (ACTION)
Six proposals to provide comprehensive youth (employment related) training programs were received by NoRTEC for: Butte, Del Norte, the three counties of Lassen, Modoc and Plumas, Siskiyou, Tehama and Trinity Counties. Copies of the proposals were distributed to the NoRTEC Executive Committee for their review and comment. Staff is coordinating the review and comment through e-mail, and will have the final summary, along with recommendations, prepared for the March 24 meeting.
There was only one proposal per county, so we have a "Noncompetitive" process. Basically, this means yes/no on funding, and the incorporation of missing information or other questions into the contract negotiation process. With the WIB/GB approval to contract, staff is responsible for the negotiations and to make sure that all the appropriate contract language is in place.
A copy of the NoRTEC RFP is attached RFP, and is posted on the NoRTEC Web site, from the "What's Happening?" button.
WIB approval of NoRTEC AE staff negotiating contracts with each of the "proposers" for the provision of WIA funded youth programs.
Governing Board approval of NoRTEC AE staff negotiating contracts with each of the "proposers" for the provision of WIA funded youth programs.
- NORTEC FIVE YEAR PLAN (ACTION)
Public comments on the NoRTEC five year plan will be accepted through March 22, 2000. So far, no official comments have been received. A copy of the plan is attached PLAN, and is accessible on the NoRTEC Web site, from the "What's Happening?" button.
We recently received additional plan instructions from the State, and have been addressing these directly in the copy that is posted on the NoRTEC Web site. Sections deleted by the State are noted as strike-throughs (
delete) and new stuff is in red ink (RED). The changes are not considered significant by staff.
WIB approval of the NoRTEC Five Year Plan.
Governing approval of the NoRTEC Five Year Plan.
- GOVERNING BOARD/WORKFORCE INVESTMENT BOARD AGREEMENT (ACTION)
A staff developed working agreement for the Governing Board and WIB is attached: WIB/GB Agreement. The purpose is to agree on some general ground rules for the working relationship between the WIB and Governing Board. The proposed agreement basically charges the WIB to come up with policy and conduct oversight, and the Governing Board to approve or not, with an in-house process to resolve disputes. This is consistent with current practice and the "partnership" envisioned in WIA between the WIB and Governing Board. The WIB and Governing Board Decision Making checklist developed by W. Jones, NoRTEC Counsel, is attached for reference. It presents a summary of the mandatory areas of agreement that must be reached between the WIB and Governing Board (and the decisions that can be made by each body without the agreement of the other). WIB/GB Decisions
WIB approval of the NoRTEC Workforce Investment Board and Governing Board Agreement.
Governing Board approval of the NoRTEC Workforce Investment Board and Governing Board Agreement.
- OLD BUSINESS (DISCUSSION)
Old Business items may be brought up for discussion,at the pleasure of the NoRTEC GB/WIB members.
- NEW BUSINESS (DISCUSSION)
- Upcoming Meeting Schedule
- WIB and Governing Board - April 27, 2000
- WIB and Governing Board - July 27, 2000
- WIB and Governing Board - October 26, 2000 (24 - 27, Konocti)
- Additional New Business Items may be brought up for discussion, at the pleasure of the NoRTEC WIB/GB members.
- Upcoming Meeting Schedule