Agenda - APRIL 23, 2008
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 23, 2008
4:00 P.M. - 5:30 P.M.
NoRTEC ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES
525 WALL STREET
- CALL TO ORDER
- ROLL CALL
- PUBLIC COMMENT (INFORMATION)
Members of the public will be invited to make brief comments regarding any aspect of NoRTEC business.
- Further NoRTEC Expansion (ACTION)
To date, NoRTEC staff are under the direction of the NoRTEC WIB and Governing Board to entertain requests from neighboring counties to join the NoRTEC Consortium. The primary condition is that as they agree to join and abide under the same terms and conditions as the current NoRTEC members. NoRTEC now has eleven member counties. Governing Board members have expressed informal concern that NoRTEC may be getting too big to manage. Wendy Reiss, NoRTEC Governing Board Chair, has called this meeting to assess and discuss the situation, and to attempt to reach consensus on whether or not to accept further new members into the NoRTEC Consortium. If so, what conditions need to be met? The pros and cons identified so far are listed below. Additional thoughts, for or against, may be presented at the meeting.
- Stable funding base for NoRTEC administration
- More political clout
- More funding opportunities
- Providing service for under-served areas
- Spreading the Business First/Economic Development approach over a larger area
- Stretching staff too thin
- New county may try to dominate program direction and distribution of funding
- New county may not be compatible, causing tension and disruption
- More counties will make the board too big to manage
- OLD BUSINESS (INFORMATION)
Old Business items may be brought up for discussion, at the pleasure of the NoRTEC Governing Board members.
- NEW BUSINESS (DISCUSSION)
- The next WIB and Governing Board meeting (after tomorrow's meeting) will be held on Thursday, July 24, 2008, in Redding.
- Additional New Business items may be brought up for discussion, at the pleasure of the NoRTEC WIB/Governing Board members.