NoRTEC Open Records Policy
As an entity receiving public funds for carrying out public activities, NoRTEC has determined that it is subject to the California Public Records Act (“Act”), Government Code Section 6240-6270.
What records are available?
Most records maintained by NoRTEC are open for public inspection and copying. Such records include, but are not limited to:
- Minutes/records of open meetings
- Board roster/committee rosters
- Procurement records, including documents related to requests for proposals (information relating to bids or proposals will not be released until a contract is executed or all bids/proposals have been rejected)
- Budget documents
What records are not available?
Under CPRA, certain records are not available for public inspection. Examples of such records excluded from public inspection are:
- Personnel records of NORTEC employees
- Medical records
- Records protected by attorney-client privilege
- Records closed by rules of evidence
- Notes and preliminary drafts
- Criminal investigation records
- A complete list of exemptions from public viewing is contained in CGC 624--6270. We are required only to provide public records that already exist. There is no requirement to create a record at your request.
Public Records Requests
In accordance with Govt. Code § 6250 et. seq., NoRTEC provides access to public records, except those exempt from disclosure by law. Pursuant to the Act, NoRTEC has (10) days from receipt of the request to determine whether the request, in whole or in part, seeks copies of disclosable public records in NoRTEC’s possession and to notify the requestor of that determination. In unusual circumstances, the 10-day time limit may be extended by up to 14 days by written notice to the requestor, setting forth the reason for the time extension as required by the Act. If NoRTEC determines there are disclosable public records, the records will be made available as promptly as is reasonably practical. Request for copies of identifiable public record must be accompanied by payment of fees, in the form of cash or check, to cover the direct costs of duplication before copies are released. NoRTEC’s standard copying cost is $0.20 per page. Alternatively, records may be emailed to the requestor in a .PDF format or by flashdrive, if provided.
Under Govt. Code § 6253(e) local agencies are under no obligation to create records that do not already exist at the time of the request.
Public Record Information Request Form